Since late 2011, HelpsGood led various social media tactics for the Bedsider campaign. The campaign aims to reduce the amount of unplanned pregnancies by educating women and helping them find the method of birth control that’s right for them. The campaign is run by The National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy and the Ad Council.
Our work on the Bedsider campaign coincided with a huge increase in highly-charged, politicizing of conversation around birth control. From the Komen Foundation’s de-funding and re-funding of Planned Parenthood to the Republican presidential nominee race to Rush Limbaugh’s inflammatory statements, birth control was a very active topic of social conversation.
Recently Bedsider even released a three part video series in partnership with Funny or Die called “After Last Night.” The series follows two male friends and two female friends the next day after a party and their journey to figure out what happened the night before (and if they had used birth control)!
HelpsGood has helped the campaign since November, and has had a huge impact and influence on the project:
- Blogger outreach garnering posts that had a collective reach of over 1.5 million people, including mentions in
- top advertising and social media blogs such as The Inspiration Room, All Facebook, AdRants, Osocio, and Brand Republic.
- Mom and family blogs like Sassy Mama in LA, Mommyhood’s Diary, Life According to Damaris, Pink Guayoyo, and Single Mama NYC.
- Sex and relationship blogs like Blue-Eyed Vixen, Vagina Pagina, Drew Pillow, AV Flox, and Abiolatv
- Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ messages about the campaign including mentions by PBS’ To the Contrary, Funky Brown Chick, and Blogs by Latinas
- We built two new Facebook apps leveraging the Buddy Media platform for Bedsider’s Facebook page:
- Provided guidance about existing social network channels. Also provided advice on ways to improve Bedsider positioning on emerging networks for added discovery (e.g. Klout, Pinterest, etc.)
During that time, Bedsider grew:
- Over 1,500 new likes on Facebook
- Over 5,500 views on the Confessions App
- Over 2,740 views on the Method Explorer App
- Nearly 1,000 fans on Twitter